Correcting and updating your details

Need help?

Register to vote

1. What details can be changed?

You can make changes to your:

  • Malaysian and overseas address
  • race and religion
  • name
  • MyKad number (corrections only)

2. Things you need

You will need a copy of your:

  • MyKad or MyTentera with the updated name, address, race or religion
  • Malaysian passport
  • details on the electoral roll
  • other supprting documents depending on what details are being changed
Always call the Election Commission for advice on what documents they need for your changes to be made.

3. Submitting your changes

To update your Malaysian address, you must go to your local post office or Election Commission branch.

For name, race and religion changes, go to your state Election Commission headquarters to make these changes.

To make minor corrections to details such as your MyKad number or name, go to the Election Commission's complaints page. Select 'Pendaftaran Pengundi' and attach a copy of your MyKad and any other supporting documents.

If you're overseas and want to update your overseas address, go to the Election Commission's complaints page. Select 'Kemaskini Alamat Pengundi PTH Luar Negara' and attach a copy of your:

  • Malaysian passport
  • proof of your current address such as a utility bill

4. Waiting times

For changes to race or religion, your details will be sent to the Election Commission headquarters for approval. Once the changes are approved, your information is changed immediately.

Changes to any other details on your MyKad, such as your name or address takes 2 weeks to process.

There are no waiting times available for changes to overseas addresses. Call the Election Commission for details on this.


While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained on the Website is correct, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Information on the Website is for general information purposes only and is not intended to provide any type of professional advice. If you need up-to-date, professional advice, you should contact SPR for more details.

Malaysian Progressives in Australia (MPOZ) is a movement of young Malaysians in Australia who strive for open dialogue of political reform in Malaysia