Registering for a postal vote overseas

Registering to vote

If you have registered or voted in elections back in Malaysia, you have to apply for a postal vote to vote overseas. This has to be done for every election.

This does not apply if you registered as an absent voter overseas. You automatically get a postal vote sent to you.

1. Eligibility

In addition to the general eligibility requirements, you have to be registered in the electoral roll.

You must have spent at least 30 non-consecutive days in Malaysia within the last 5 years.

You must not be living in any of these areas:

  • southern Thailand
  • Singapore
  • Brunei
  • Kalimantan, Indonesia

In these areas, you are expected to come back to Malaysia to vote.

2. Things you need

The documents required are your:

  • Malaysian passport
  • Malaysian identity card or MyTentera card
  • parliament consituency details
  • dates proving that you've stayed in Malaysian for 30 non-consecutive days within the last 5 years
  • copy of Form 1B (Request for Postal Ballots)
  • express post envelope or stamp (optional)


While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained on the Website is correct, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Information on the Website is for general information purposes only and is not intended to provide any type of professional advice. If you need up-to-date, professional advice, you should contact SPR for more details.

Malaysian Progressives in Australia (MPOZ) is a movement of young Malaysians in Australia who strive for open dialogue of political reform in Malaysia