Types of voter

Registering to vote

Normal voter

A normal voter is a person who's:

  • 21 years old or older
  • registered as a voter in Malaysia
  • lives and votes in a Malaysian constituency

Normal voters vote in local neighbourhoods based on their address in their MyKad.

You don't need to re-register yourself as an absent voter if you head overseas. You can request a postal ballot every time an election is due.

Absent voter

An absent voter is a person who's:

  • serving or is a spouse to someone in the military, government or is studying full-time overseas
  • 21 years old or older
  • registered as a voter

Military voters vote based on where they're stationed. They vote through advanced or postal voting.

Students and government voters overseas vote based on the address stated on their MyKad. They vote through postal voting.

You lose the right to vote as an absent voter once you:

  • retire or return from the military government service overseas
  • finish your studies overseas and head back to Malaysia
  • cease being a spouse to someone in the military, government or overseas student

You can register as a normal voter once your name is struck off the electoral roll as an absent voter.

Returning home soon?

If you're returning to Malaysia soon, you can go to your Malaysian Mission and request to register as a normal voter. The process is the same as registering as an absent voter overseas.


While we have made every attempt to ensure that the information contained on the Website is correct, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions, or for the results obtained from the use of this information. Information on the Website is for general information purposes only and is not intended to provide any type of professional advice. If you need up-to-date, professional advice, you should contact SPR for more details.

Malaysian Progressives in Australia (MPOZ) is a movement of young Malaysians in Australia who strive for open dialogue of political reform in Malaysia